(130km) Half to full day loop
Volcanic peaks, craters lakes and charming historic towns wait on this journey through Lakes and Craters heartland. Invigorating walks, crafts, antiques, models/collectables for the kids (and kids at heart) and a Benedictine Abbey will be sure to entertain and enlighten.
1. Sand and Fire Glass Studio – 6764 Princes Hwy Terang
2. Model Barn – 6209 Princes Hwy Terang
3. Terang Cottage Crafts - 22 High St Terang
4. Mt Noorat – Alan Marshall walk - Carapook St Terang
5. Glenormiston College - 333 Glenormiston Road Glenormiston
6. Camperdown Heritage Centre -241 Manifold St Camperdown
7. Mt Leura - Mt Leura Road Camperdown
8. St Marks Benedictine Abbey – Camperdown Cobden Rd Camperdown
9. Camperdown Botanic Gardens and lookout - via Lakes and Craters Holiday Park
10. Lake Bullen Merri (South Beach) - Naroghid Rd Camperdown
11. Cobden Township and ornamental lake
12. Oak Weaving Studio 101 Brown's Road Elingamite
Anglers and lovers of scenery may want to take additional side trip to Lake Purrumbete or Lake Ellingamite. Bird lovers and lovers of wildlife should consider side trips to Lake Bookar (north of the Princes Hwy) or Ralph Illidge Sanctuary (south west of Terang). Antique hunters should scour The Silver Nickel – Camperdown, Baimbridge Antiques and Art – Panmure and Pombo Mart – Pomborneit North
Pick up copies of the Dry Stone Wall Heritage Trail, Volcanoes Discovery trail Camperdown Heritage Car Tour and the Alan Marshall Discovery Trail from the Port Campbell Visitor Information Centre or the information hub in the old courthouse near the shire offices in Camperdown (Manifold st).
The Camperdown Gardens land was put aside in 1869 with work being carried out by Daniel Bunce from 1870, in 1888 inprovements were made under the guidance of William Guilfoyle.
For tips on how to make the most of your visit, gifts and and warm local hospitality be sure to call into Camperdown Courthouse Information and Arts. Wonderful information and warm hospitality in t...
Established in 1842, the Elephant Bridge Hotel is a renowned “meeting place” in the heart of the Western District farming community who cherish it as part of their lives. It’s also a popular destin...
Find your own space on this crystal clear volcanic lake on the southern outskirts of town.
A fantastic lookout an interpretive sign describes the dynamics of the lakes and the reasons for their differing salinity.
The car park and lookout offer commanding views of Lake Corangamite and views across Lake Colongulac towards Mt Elephant.